Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Tuesday News Briefs - June 13, 2006

Here we go with a couple good ones!

***

ABC News - Police Run Over, Kill Sunbather in Calif.

File under: Ooops!

This story is pretty sad; for some reason I believe that a similar incident took place here in Florida a few years ago. Do you want to know how to prevent this ever happening again?
Ban motorized vehicles on the beach. Sure, the police would actually have to walk, but Cindy Conolly, 49, of Sioux City, Iowa would have lived to see her son get married.

The best/worst part of the story:

An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. The officers have been placed on paid leave pending an investigation.
Witnesses saw the cops run over the woman's head! Why do they need an autopsy? "Well, maybe it was food poisoning that killed this headless woman?"

And I just don't understand the paid leave thing...isn't that called a vacation?

***

Sploid - 'Happy graduation day, scumbags!'

File under: Nothing like having the last word.

This next clip is near and dear to my heart, because the story (almost) could have been written about me. I was a somewhat troubled teenager. Not troubled in the contemplating suicide and cutting myself kind of way. More like troubled in the willing to experiment and hanging out with the bad crowd kinda way.

Okay, so maybe I was the leader of the bad crowd. But that is irrelevant.

To make a long story short, I was kicked out of my boarding school towards the end of my sophomore year. A new headmaster came to lead the school that summer, and he offered me a chance to return.

It was a way better option that having to be in to open a bagel shop at 5:00 a.m. daily, so I went back. That new headmaster tightened has reins on me, placing me on a program of random drug testing, making me live in a freshman dorm (for the remainder of my stay there) and generally making my life as miserable as he could.

Back in those days I was an unspoken nuevo/pseudo hippie, with long hair and a bit of a chip on my shoulder. The headmaster tried and tried to catch me at something, but I had learnt my lesson and was going to get my diploma no matter what.

The headmaster's view was slightly different. He told my parents, and I quote: "there is no way that your son will graduate from this institution while I am here".

When my mother told me that, I was determined to beat this jerk at his own game. Not only did I graduate, with honors. I received three awards at Prize Night. One of them was the Public Speaking Award, an honor that was accompanied by the privilege of speaking at graduation.

Well, Mr. Headmaster didn't like that all that much, but he couldn't just bounce me. I had submitted a speech and won the contest. So he appointed another speaker, and we both stood on the stage on that hot May day.

I thought about changing my speech, which was on the topic of redemption from one's self; unfortunately I was at a private school and would have faced retribution had a publicly aired my grievances with the school.

But I give kudos to Kyle Stublen, who had the stones to say what needed to be said.

The best part of the story:

Sansone later told the local Herald Tribune that he couldn't even remember all the crazed threats he hurled at the boy.

"To be honest, I can't remember all the things I told him," Sansone told the paper. "I was really upset."
So a teacher can threaten a student with no repercussions, but a student exercises his Constitutionally-given right to free speech and all hell breaks loose.

Only in America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home