Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Rare Hunter S. Thompson Photo to Be Released

Thompson's widow offers photo to fans

from the Associated Press (thanks to justin on the TIP for the heads up!)

February 20, 2006 will mark one year since the late great Hunter S. Thompson decided that it was time to leave this planet, placing a shotgun in his mouth and pulling the trigger while sitting in the kitchen of his Woody Creek, CO home.

When I saw that one of my literary heroes had committed suicide, ending his "weird" existence, it hit me hard. Reading "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" for the first caused the same rebellious instinct to rise within me that reading Kerouac's "On the Road" did. (Thanks to my Uncle Vinnie for turning me on to both of these deliciously anti-establishment works of art; without your guidance I would never have become the man I am today!)

Both books made me want to get up and go, to explore the unknown (both in my mind and on the terrestrial plane) and to basically freak out those who don't get it.

Above, Thompson's famous Gonzo logo: a clenched fist with two thumbs serving as the hilt to a dagger. This one is signed by him and contains a line contributed to Thompson (It never got weird enough for me) that seems to be a take on his famous "When the going gets weird, the weird goes pro" line.

When I read about Thompson's final act, I was affected in a way I hadn't been since the death of another one of my mythical hero's: Jerry Garcia. I will always remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I learned of both of their deaths, the same way the generation before me will never forget the day JFK was murdered.

Hunter's widow has decided to make available to his fans a photo of him that has never been seen before (except by Ralph Steadman, Thompson's illustrator and longtime friend who actually owns it). Anyone and everyone will be able to download the photo from the relatively new Gonzo Store.

Her description of the photo:

“He has a special look in his eye that he had once in while when he was up to something but was totally at peace,” [Anita Thompson] said. “I’ve taken thousands of pictures of him, but this one is my favorite. And nobody has seen it.”

I for one will definitely be downloading this photo. Hell, I'd even buy it if it was for sale (though I am pretty broke, so I'm glad Anita is being so kind in this regard).

Whether you love him or hate him, few people will argue that Hunter S. Thompson is one of the few people who can be considered a "Great American" as well a genuine counter-culture icon.

Hunter Stockton Thompson

July 18, 1937 - February 20, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home