Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Tuesday News Briefs - May 23, 2006

Yeah, I know that it is actually Wednesday, May 24. So shoot me for being a day late and a dollar short. I figure that I can break my own self-imposed rules on blogging every day, if--and only if--I make up for it the very next day.

Which I am doing right now.

I'd explain why I didn't have the time or energy to make a post last night, but suffice it to say that at least part of the blame is to be placed on the lack of stores selling denim overalls in the greater Fort Lauderdale area.

Now onto the news!
* * *
New York Post - Tommy Guns: Hilfiger Dresses Down Axl in Brawl

File under: I wish I could have seen this!

Say what you will about gossip columns, but Page 6 in the New York Post is a great source of oftentimes ridiculous celebrity gossip. Kind of like this piece, which describes a little tiff between the recently-back-into-the-spotlight Axl Rose and Greenwich, CT's own uber-feminine fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger. Incidentally, how did it happen that the person who made be the whitest fellow on the face of the earth designs clothes that are almost exclusively worn by people that, well, tend to be not white?

The best line in the story:
As the punch-up escalated, Hilfiger introduced Rose to some "November Pain" with a blow to the cheek. Club guards quickly tried to separate the men.
Who do you think would win in a no-holds barred battle between the two men:

This guy?
Or this guy?
You be the judge...

* * *
Miami Herald - Women Learn Art of Striptease at Oakland Park club

file under: It is about time!

Stripping is not new. Neither is the realization that it must be a pretty good work out, shaking those tassel things and gyrating on a fireman's pole. But, at least here is South Florida, making money off of teaching non-strippers to strip--or to get a good workout while simulating stripping--is a hot fad.

They are so many good little tidbits in this story that I couldn't choose just one.

The best line(s) in the story:

''Not everybody is cut out to go to the gym,'' said Andrea Amenta, director of public relations for Scores. ``With this, it's a little bit more fun.''
As someone in the PR biz, I love this. Even strip clubs have PR directors. (I wonder if she had anything to do with the oodles and oodles of plugs Howard Stern dropped on this establishment prior to his flight from terrestrial radio.

'I always tell people `You'll have a newfound respect for strippers after you take this class,' '' said Mind Body Connection owner Eileen Owoc.
It seems as if Ms. Owoc if differentiating between a newfound respect for strippers and the respect of someone who has respected them for a longer period of time.

And for the crown jewel:
For those who prefer to practice in the privacy of their own home, A Pole Lot of Fun delivers. The Davie-based business advertises women-only parties that come complete with a pole, music and champagne.
A Pole Lot of Fun? A Whole Lot of Pun? I'm still laughing, and I've read this story at least a dozen times.

* * *
That's all for now, folks. I'll be back later tonight (if I don't get sucked into the LOST season finale, never to return) with some more Cover Song Madness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home