Thursday, May 25, 2006

(AUDIO!!) Cover Song Madness # 2 - Perpetual Groove - Under the Covers disc 1

I've mentioned before that Perpetual Groove is a band that sure knows how to pick a cover song. To me, one of the essential components of a good live band is the ability to pick a good cover song. A really good live band is able to take someone else's song and make it their own.

Perpetual Groove has the ability to do this. They destroy the Peter Gabriel songs they do, and I've probably listened to their highly dancable take on Fatboy Slim's "Praise You" at least five times this week.

In celebration of the fact that my weekend is going to be spend at Amberland, Perpetual Groove's annual Memorial Day festival/cookout/family reunion/party, I've spent the last couple of days augmenting my pre-established playlist of pGroove covers.

Now I have over five-and-a-half hours of Perpetual Groove covers. Some, like "All Night Long" or "Funky Town" are jam vehicles, stretching for ten or twelve or twenty minutes! Others are true to form: short, sweet and to the point. Some are from last week; others are from last year. Many are regulars in the band's rotation, and some are one-time-played asterisks on a setlist from long ago ("99 Red Balloons"?) I even included one Perpetual Groove song because in the middle of it Brock Butler, their guitarist, flips his hoodie over his head and raps Jay Z, the BeastieBoy and whatever other hip hop comes to his slightly balding head.

This week I present to you the first of five discs that compile what I have wittilly dubbed "Perpetual Groove - Under the Covers". Depending on what happens this weekend at Amberland, I may be adding some more tunes to the compilation.

Any and all, I'd love your comments! Suggestions, additions, detractions and whatever kind of RUCKUS you want to bring are welcome.
The tunes have been compressed as a .rar file, and can be downloaded from rapidshare.de from the following link!

Perpetual Groove - Under the Covers disc 1
(all of the tracks on this discs come from archive.org. THANKS!)

Tracklist:

1. Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield - 10:51

2. Orange Wedge > - the Chemical Brothers - 2:33

3. Marijuana in My Brain - Lords of Acid - 10:38

4. All Night Long - Lionel Richie - 8:39

5. Do Your Thing - Isaac Hayes - 12:49

6. I Want You Back - the Jackson 5 - 4:01

7. Diggin' in the Dirt - Peter Gabriel - 12:43

8. ABC - the Jackson 5 - 4:02

1 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Compilation! Will be spreading this site aroudn to my friends.

justin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home