Wednesday, April 05, 2006

(AUDIO!!) Cover Song Madness # 1 - "Love Will Tear Us Apart"

Welcome to another new little (hopefully) weekly feature of Scooter's Spot, one that I am really excited for: Cover Song Madness!

Every week (or so, depending on variables both beyond and completely within my control) I'm going to compile a couple of versions of the same song by a number of different artists. If possible, I'm going to start with the original, and then provide two, or three or however many I can find cover versions.

I love cover songs. Phish used to be my favorite band, and I always considered them to be one of the best cover bands around. At times, their shows we be comprised of twenty percent cover songs. The thing that made them a great cover band was that they managed to make the song their own. "Roses are Free"? "Loving Cup"? Many people think these are Phish songs and not covers.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Perpetual Groove, and they're another band who can pick a quality cover. "I'm Afraid of Americans" is a sweet little David Bowie track, and they can bring the house down with their "Sledgehammer" or "Diggin' in the Dirt".

Today I'm going to go with Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart". This song is pretty much the inspiration for Cover Song Madness, as I have heard so many damn versions recently that I had to compare them all.

I have two live versions (U2 featuring the Arcade Fire, as well as Brothers Past), an acoustic version (my new man crush, the Argentinean-Swede Jose Gonzalez) and a new wave/bossa nova version courtesy of Nouvelle Vague, as well as they Joy Division original.

I like 'em all, especially the four-on-the-floor techno dance party feel of the Brothers Past version and the mellow groove of Nouvelle Vague's take on the track.

I've uploaded it as a .zip file, available at RadidShare.de.

Cover Song Madness # 1 - "Love Will Tear Us Apart"

Enjoy.

3 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is so cool. smedvin rocks!

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

calexico also does this song...i love any song in the movie donnie darko!

http://thetrainingground.blogspot.com/2005/12/judge-band-by-its-cover.html

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

jc, thanks for the link. there's some tasty covers over there.

i just got back from out of town and your package was in my p.o. box. it is the next album on my list...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home